Snow Hill, MD-National Great American Smokeout Day returns on November 15. For individuals thinking about quitting smoking, this is the perfect time to take that first step. The Great American Smokeout may offer just the support you need by knowing that other smokers are also giving up cigarettes for the day.
“It can be tough to make the first step towards being smoke-free but the benefits are worth it,” said Crystal Bell, Chronic Disease and Tobacco Supervisor for the Worcester County Health Department. “When you stop smoking you lower your risk for several cancers and heart disease, improve lung function, and reduce your risks for heart attack and stroke. Thousands of people will take that first step on November 15 this year, so know that the support is there.”
To help county residents in their attempt to be smoke-free, the Worcester County Health Department will be distributing Quit Smoking Kits to several locations including the Berlin Health Center, Center 4 Clean Start, Pocomoke Health Center, Snow Hill Health Center, WACS Center, and the Worcester County Dental Clinic. Please stop by one of those locations to pick up your free Quit Smoking Kit.
To further assist you in your attempt to quit, check out the quit tips listed below:
• Make a firm commitment to quit and set a date.
• Join a smoking cessation class- for more information about classes, please call the Worcester County Health Department Tobacco Program at 410-632-0056.
• Enlist support.
• Drink lots of water.
• Munch on low-cal snacks.
• Chew on a toothpick or cinnamon stick.
• Throw out the ash tray and cigarettes.
• Vacuum the car.
• Wash your clothes.
• Air out the house.
• Become physically active- join one of the several physical activity and nutrition programs sponsored by the Worcester County Health Department such as the Just Walk and Lifestyle Balance programs.
• Participate in Just Walk Berlin, a free 1- mile walk to be held on Saturday November 10, 2018 (heavy rain cancels) at Stephen Decatur Park. Registration starts at 8:30 and walk begins at 9:00 am.
For more information about quitting smoking or to register for a smoking cessation class, please call the Worcester County Health Department at 410-632-0056 or go to www.worcesterhealth.org. YOU can quit and have the power to become a non-smoker!